(Every month I reveal stats about my side projects, which includes how much I’ve earned. The info below is slightly censored. For the full financial figures, sign up in the sidebar to the right.)
Happy new year! And thank you! Let me start by saying I received the best Christmas present from all of you. It put a smile on my face and left me with enough inspiration to keep sharing my adventures this coming year. That gift? Your incredible support.
Seriously, I know it sounds cheesy but your reaction after I sent out my year end review asking for reassurance was a godsend. I received tons of emails and comments, in fact it was my most responded to post. Here’s what some of you told me:
- “Shane, really like your site. maybe it’s because my name’s Shane also. But you’re taking action and that’s what’s most appealing.” – Shane F.
- “Your experiences fill my own motivation to continue working on my own side projects.” – Arthur
- “You may be sowing the seeds of me starting my own blog/newsletter about what I have going on.” – Owen M
- “I am much inspired by your efforts and I am also trying to spin out multiple products – currently gives me enough for gas and utilities.” – Tito
- “I’ve been inspired by your work (projects) and overall with this site (please don’t go!! …lol). I’m not displeased with anything so keep doing what your’re doing man” – Joey A
- “You have so much potential and I know you’re getting closer and closer to your big break. I have one suggestion: spend more time with your spouse” – Okay, that one was from my wife. Thanks, dear 🙂
I’m incredibly blessed to have a following that’s so supportive. Thank you so much for everyone that responded to me. Your input is invaluable and I’ll be spending the next year doing as you asked: focusing more on my side project experience and revealing how others make their money. If you have additional feedback it’s never too late to let me know, just contact me!
December of the prior year (2013) was pretty awesome because I saw a huge increase in AdSense earnings, which I attributed to holiday traffic. Unfortunately this year my advertising revenue never picked up. Bummer, not sure why.
But I did encounter a new source of revenue: Amazon. All I did was place a small affiliate link on one of my niche sites and by the end of the month I had referred 3 orders, totaling almost $30 in earnings. I know that’s not a lot, but it showed the potential of just a single amazon link. The beauty of Amazon is that there are so many products on the site, from apples to zebras (seriously), and you get credit for ANY product a referral buys from Amazon, not just the one you refer them to. (Example, if you click on that ‘zebra’ link now and then buy a coffee maker tomorrow, I’ll get commission)
Anyway, enough about Amazon, but consider signing up for their affiliate program and placing a link or two somewhere – I think you’ll be surprised.
Here are the rest of the stats for December:
Compared to last month, there weren’t many changes. Traffic and profit about the same. I’m not thrilled about a lack of progress, but I guess it’s better than going down!
I recently posted about not spending any more effort on AmpedSense (When to kill your side project) and moving forward with a new focus on HostBenchmarker. I’m excited about this direction as not only am I passionate about it, but there’s also more earnings potential. Be on the look out next month for a post about what I’m doing to drive HB forward. And in the meantime, feel free to spread the word about HostBenchmarker to anyone starting a new side project looking for a reliable host (thank you!)
Did you miss any articles?
If you haven’t been to my blog in a while, here’s what I posted last month:
Any questions, suggestions, or feedback about this breakdown? Would love to hear from you with a comment below!